Wildflower Seed in the Sand and Wind

My eyes-Help them to Look as well as to See

Name:
Location: The Triangle, North Carolina, United States

I try to keep an open heart & open mind.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Feng Shui It is

I'm not a real superstitious person. Sure, I try not to step on the cracks if I can help it. But I don't throw salt over my shoulder. I don't kiss my hand and touch the roof of my car when I go under yellow lights. I do try not to walk under ladders. But I don't carry a rabbit's foot. So you see, I'm just a little wishy washy when it comes to superstition.

So you can understand my skeptism when I was told (after I had already bought my house, mind you) that I had bad feng shui. My sister is pretty superstitious and informed us that we had bad feng shui after describing the layout of our house to her. Ok, maybe feng shui is not exactly a superstition. In fact, according to Wikipedia.org it is an ancient practice estimated at 3,000 years old. It is rooted in Taoism and involves the placement and arrangement of space in order to achieve harmony with the environment. I'm a pretty open minded person, so it sounds reasonable enough to me, but I have to admit that I didn't take it that seriously at first.

The problem with my feng shui involves the placement of my staircase. I have a small foyer, and beyond that is the staircase that leads up to the 2nd floor. Evidently this is bad because all your energy flows down the staircase and out the door. So I was told that could translate to money flowing down the staircase & out the door.

Like I said, I didn't take this threat too seriously. However, I have actually started to believe in this.

Shortly after moving in we had to get our garage door opener fixed to the tune of $245. Then we had a series of car problems with both my car and my husband's. We have probably spent about $1000 between the two of us on batteries, fuses, brake jobs, ignition switches, etc. since we moved in at the end of June.

After this run of bad luck, I asked my sister in desperation what I could do to appease the feng shui gods because they apparently were very angry with us for doubting the power of the ancient practice. So, she gave me three ideas. I could get a mirror and put in on the wall of my front door so my energy wouldn't fly out the door but reflect back into the house. I could get a potted plant and put it in the foyer. I guess plants keep energy contained. Or I could hang a crystal in the foyer. Same concept, I guess the energy is routed throughout the house instead of out the door once it hits the crystal.

Well, I still continued to drag my feet on these feng shui decorating adjustments I needed to make. So, this month...no wait, more accurately just this past week I had the worst run of luck. Read Predatory Towing for one such incident that ended up costing us $225. Then our heater in our house broke and cost $510 to fix. And if that wasn't enough I go to leave work on Friday and my car won't start. I was most certain it was the starter. I would turn the key and the car would go click, click, click. Now, I'm no mechanic, but that's what it sounded like. My husband suggested that we check the battery first, but I insisted it couldn't be that. So, I call a tow and get it in the shop on Friday afternoon.

Imagine my extreme frustration about these events, and I didn't even mention the hellish week at work but that's a whole other story. So the first thing I did once I got home after my husband picked me up (because my damn car won't start) was to hang up that crystal. And you know what? I think it's working.

The next day I find out that my car ended up just needing a new battery. Yes, this place was open on Saturday morning. And fortunately, that battery was still under warranty so I got it replaced free of charge. Granted I did have to pay for the tow, but my very nice insurance agent reimbursed me for that today. So what could have been a $200 starter repair, ended up only costing me the $20 labor charge to change the batteries. Which incidentally my husband could have done himself free of charge had I listened to him in the first place. But that's a whole other story too.

So, I'm keeping up that crystal and I hope that feng shui remains good to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home