Wildflower Seed in the Sand and Wind

My eyes-Help them to Look as well as to See

Name:
Location: The Triangle, North Carolina, United States

I try to keep an open heart & open mind.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Why George and Cronies Should Take Military Advice from Action Movies

Usually, I use events that happen during the weekend to come up with ideas about what to post. However, I thought that this past weekend would not bring any such event to serve as inspiration for a post. I spent the weekend furiously working on an literature review for a class, so unless people wanted to hear about phonological processing and Woodcock Vocabulary Assessments there wasn't going to be material for my little ole blog.

But, I sometimes forget that the best inspiration sometimes comes from my dearest friend, Tele Vision aka TV.

So, I'm busy working on this assignment and my husband, making sure that I get plenty of study breaks, proceeds to update me on the Rambo-a-thon that is being broadcast on TV. Ok, you all know the Rambo saga I'm sure. Vietnam vet doesn't fit into this new crazy world and is constantly being harrassed to get back into the soldier life. Well, I guess my husband had worked up to Rambo 3 and was giving me recaps of the transpiring events from the movie.

The movie starts with Red Foreman from That 70's Show approaching Rambo about some reconnaissance mission to Afghanistan. He didn't call Rambo a dumbass though. Well, Rambo refuses the request which sets in motion the movie plot. Instead, Rambo's commander and mentor goes on the mission and ends up getting captured. So of course Rambo has no other choice but to become involved now and go rescue him. So the movie continues with lots of gunfire, tanks, bombs and many other far fetched action movie conventions of an improbable nature. I'm not sure if there is a love interest, but I know there is some young kid involved. You've still have got to have the human story. I'm sure the movie concludes with Rambo rescuing his mentor and ends with a door of sequel opportunity opened just a crack. They had already made three at that point for God's sake.

"How are you going to get by now, Rambo?"

"Day by day."

But the part of Rambo 3 that is the most prolific and ironic at the same time, is when Rambo's mentor is being tortured by the Russians who have captured him in Afghanistan. Remember when the Russians were our worst enemy?? Anyway, Mentor of Rambo gets on his pulpit and preaches to the Russians how stupid they were to think they could invade a country like Afghanistan and compared it to the US's involvement in Vietnam. He went on to say that the people they were fighting would rather die than be slaves, so they were essentially fighting a battle they couldn't win.

My husband says that George Bush would have had to have seen Rambo movies and that it's too bad that he hadn't used Rambo 3 movie advice when crafting his foreign policy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home