Wildflower Seed in the Sand and Wind

My eyes-Help them to Look as well as to See

Name:
Location: The Triangle, North Carolina, United States

I try to keep an open heart & open mind.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Bass Great, Lesh Filling

This past weekend I had the pleasure of seeing Phil Lesh and Friends perform in Fairfax, VA. I had a really great time and it was almost like recapturing a snippet of what it was like to follow the Grateful Dead around during my college days. For those of you who don't know, Phil Lesh was the bassist of the Grateful Dead. He is probably the coolest surviving member of the band in that he still believes in the music and the vision that the live music experience can have healing power. Since about 2000, he has been assembling some of the finest jamband musicians around him to create his "Friends".

Going to concerts is something I have enjoyed doing since I was a teenager. I have to say, that I have attended some pretty eclectic concerts varying from new wave, house, rock, blues, jazz, bluegrass. My very first concert was seeing Modern English in a college gym with my sister. Modern English's claim to fame is the "I'll Melt With You" song from "Valley Girl"-the quinessential 80s movie second only to "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" probably. I have seen Ministry, Skinny Puppy,the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Ramones. I have also seen the Who, Little Feat & the Allman Brothers (many times), Santana, and Neil Young. I have been to jazz shows-McCoy Tyner, Roy Haynes. I've seen BB King, bluesman. I've been to bluegrass shows-Doc Watson,David Grisman, Del McCoury, Ralph Stanley, Sam Bush for example.

The point is not to brag about all the concerts I've been to, that would just be annoying. Instead the point is to illustrate that the concert going experience may be slightly different depending on who you are seeing but sometimes it can be eerily the same anywhere you go. There seems to be certain kinds of people who attend concerts and pretty much annoy anyone that is around them. Let me share some of the people who should have just stayed home:

1. Hornies: These are the people who should have just gotten a room instead of coming to the concert. I can't tell you how many times I have been seated behind these folks. She can't keep her hands off his package and he can't keep his hands out of her back pockets. They make out right in your line of view and you end up closing your eyes so as not to intrude on this private horny couple moment.

2. Woo Hooers or AKA the Whistlers: You can recognize this person through your piercing eardrums. They feel the need to Woo Hoo, Yahoo, Yeehaw, and Oh Yeah at every opportunity they get. At the start of the song, after the guitar solo, after the song is over. Or they feel the need to whistle sharply so as to let the concert attraction know that they're here cheering them on.

3. The Requesters: These are more often found at smaller intimate shows that lend itself to taking requests. They can be known because they usually request some song that the musician is most likely going to play anyway, so there is no need to make a request. Requests should be reserved for those very special songs that you don't get every opportunity to hear. And they should be made at appropriate times, like when the musician has asked for them. It's just plain rude to shout out Free Bird, so please refrain from this stale old joke that was never funny in the first place.

4. Phonies: These people can be seen most anywhere, but at a concert they can be particulary annoying. They are attached to their cell phone loudly talking to someone on the other end who couldn't make the show but needs to be filled in on every detail that they may be missing.

5. Screamers: This breed can only be found at Dave Matthews Band concerts. They are between the ages of 12-19 and instead of listening to their "like, most favorite band of all time" they must scream like a banshee. Yeah, I think Dave heard your screaming and will now invite you backstage for a little groupie action.

6. The Socializers: These people are probably the most annoying. They are at the concert solely to socialize. They were most likely dragged there by friends or significant others and can't keep their mouths shut. They feel the need to talk through the music with a loud, shrill voice that detracts from the average concert listener's enjoyment. Sometimes they have had too much to drink and don't realize their obnoxiousness. Sometimes they are proud of their behavior. They can often be the target of Shushers or Dirty Lookers, but they rarely have any effect on this breed of concertgoer. They either blindly continue their blathering or worse turn up the volume on their conversation. You really should stay home if you're one of these. If you must talk during a concert, lower your voice to a normal level, talk in the person's ear, or wait until between songs to tell your friend whatever it is that is so important that you must ruin my listening experience with your banter.

So, as you can see going to concerts can be complicated by some of our lesser evolved cohorts that feel the need to intrude on our otherwise enjoyable experience. So dance, sway, jiggle, bop and shimmy your ass off if you must, but for God's sake if you're not there to enjoy the music, please don't sit next to me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Original Me said...

Yes, I have encountered many of these fans myself. My favorite is really the people who yell out the requests of the obvious songs. One time I was at a Gin Blossom concert (when they were in their "prime") and this guy in front of me kept yelling "Hey Jealousy!" in between EVERY song until they finally played it and when they did I thought he was going to pee his pants, he was jumping for joy so much.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home