Wildflower Seed in the Sand and Wind

My eyes-Help them to Look as well as to See

Name:
Location: The Triangle, North Carolina, United States

I try to keep an open heart & open mind.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Wal Mart Shopping Adventures

I was good this year. Well, kind of.

First off, I have to admit that I'm the worst shopper. Now, don't get me wrong. I love to spend money and buy stuff, but I hate the entire shopping process. It just takes too much planning. Too much parking and driving and searching. So, although I am philosophically and morally opposed to shopping at Wally World, I end up shopping there anyway. Yes, part of it is their low prices, but most of it has to do with one-stop shopping. I can get blue jeans, catsup, motor oil, fishing tackle, shampoo, and light bulbs all in one place.

The other reason is layaway.

Now layaway is a nifty system for people who don't have credit cards (or in my case people who have maxed out their credit cards). You pick out all the stuff you want to buy, take it the layaway department where they box everything up and hold it for you until you can pay the balance off. And the best part is you only have to put 10% down.

So I spent Wednesday morning shopping at WalMart for Christmas. I was sick and tired of looking over hill and valley for whatever "hot" toy was out that my kid just had to have. I usually wait until my Christmas bonus from work to shop, but they don't give us the bonus until the middle of December, so by the time I get it things are pretty much picked over. There was the year that my daughter just had to have the Fisher Price Loving Family Dollhouse. I had to end up getting the last box that was opened and missing furniture and people. The manager very nicely marked my purchase down, and I ended up getting replacement pieces from Fisher Price, but it still was a pain.

So, this year when my daughter's wish list included the Barbie Pegasus Styling Head I knew I had to start now. I'm sure if you were a girl who grew up in the 70s or 80s you know what a styling head is. Basically it's a big Barbie head with hair and comes with makeup, brushes, and barettes and you can style and apply makeup. A perfect gift for all the future cosmetologists to practice on.

Well, this year they are marketing the Pegasus horse head instead, You can style the mane. And it's actually kind of creepy, but what 7 year old doesn't want a head with no body to style. So, I go to Walmart with the bright idea that I will get the styling Pegasus head before they can sell out of it. And to my chagrin, they don't have any in the Barbie section.

There's a real nice lady wearing black pants and a black shirt who is talking to a customer. She is helping her find some kind of toy, so I assumed she worked there. I have to admit she didn't seem like your typical Walmart employee. She was real cute with blond hair and was very nice and helpful. So, I thought I'd ask her if they might by chance have Pegasus styling heads in another display in the store. The woman is very nice and takes me to overstock area, but alas no Pegasus heads. As it turns out this woman works for Barbie and she tries very hard to get me to buy the Pegasus horse that Barbie can ride on. But a 7 year old is not going to accept that when what she really wants is the styling head.

sidenote: if you ever seen the movie "Niagra, Niagra" you will understand the overwhelming need to have a styling head.

Nonetheless, they have Cabbage Patch Babies and a few other things she wants so I complete my shopping adventure. I even threw in the Dukes of Hazzards Season One on DVD for my husband. No, he's not a redneck. But he does enjoy making fun of those Duke boys. By the way you know the Dukes of Hazzard had a "jumping the shark" episode when an alien makes an appearance in Hazzard county and Bo, Luke, Daisy, Uncle Jessie and maybe Cooter have to help the little fellow get back home (sounds a little ET to me). I just remember the scene of the little alien in the backseat floor of the General Lee hiding under a blanket so mean Boss Hog or Roscoe don't find him. Yes, I know, I know way too much about the Dukes of Hazzard.

Anyway, the poor Barbie lady, who actually looks like she could be put on the shelf and sold as a life size Barbie doll is being hounded by another lady in the toy department.

Shopper: Do you have an idea what to get a 3 year old boy?
Barbie Lady: Well, what does he like?
Shopper: Oh, he's adopted from the Ukraine, so he doesn't know anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home