Wildflower Seed in the Sand and Wind

My eyes-Help them to Look as well as to See

Name:
Location: The Triangle, North Carolina, United States

I try to keep an open heart & open mind.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Odds and Sods

Random weekend events.....

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Have you ever eaten at a Texas Roadhouse? I had not until this past weekend. I had to travel to Asheville, NC for work this weekend and ate at the restaurant closest to the hotel. I take that back. The restaurant closest to the hotel was actually in the hotel and was called Chatts. My traveling companion, who incidentally is a state lobbyist for issues that the nonprofit agency that I work for supports, wanted to eat at the hotel. But I convinced her to branch out and we traversed the parking lot of another hotel and a gas station to arrive at the Texas Roadhouse. Being the only restaurant, except for Chatts, close to the hotel complex it was rather busy. We decided to eat at the bar so we wouldn't have to wait. We got two seats, not at the main bar, but in the bar area which had a ledge and faced out to the main dining area. We enjoyed our dinner and the country music playing. But then the gears shifted somewhat and some dance pop music started playing. Before we knew it we had a front row seat to a line dancing performance. I guess the restaurant encourages (requires) the waitresses to partcipate in this dancing spectacle right in front of the bar ledge we were seated. Truthfully, I wasn't looking forward to this trip all that much. First it was a 3 1/2 hour drive one way and I had to go overnight and stay in a hotel with a person I don't know very well and who can be somewhat of a pain. Nonetheless I survived and got to hear many sordid and juicy stories about our state representatives. But I won't spread them here.

Mistaken Identity
We have a delightful little business operating in the town where I work called Cherry Pie. It is housed in a neat and tidy yellow building with Colonial type architecture and french doors. The sign nor the building give no clues at to what type of business this is. Many of you will recogize the reference as this post proceeds, however many do not. One of my co-workers thought that it was a bakery. I can see the logic behind that assumption. When I was returning from my work trip this weekend we had to pass this establishment. We stopped at the light in front of it and the woman I was traveling with notices it.

TC (Traveling companion): "Cherry Pie? Is that some kind of restaurant?"
Me: Not exactly. (smirking)
TC: What is it then?
Me: Well, it's...um....an adult type store. (chuckling)
TC: Oh! I never would have guessed. Doesn't look like they're doing much business.
Me: My husband's old boss' wife has a girl's night out with the neighborhood women and one time they went there. His wife didn't go in the store though and sat in the car and waited.
TC: Why on earth would women want to go there???
Me: Well, they do have some things for women. Like lingerie and....toys and aides, you know.
TC: Ohhhh....I thought you meant it was strip club.

Bad Teenage Mustaches
Totally random, but Adam Morrison, the Gonzaga basketball player, looks eerily similar to one of my junior high boyfriends. Especially the hairstyle and the moustache. Sorry to say though, that you can get away with a bad teenage moustache and feathered hair when you're 13 years old and it is circa 1982. No cracks on his basketball playing abilities, but that kid needs a stylist.

Lawn Care
I must live next door to Hank Hill. I'm sure of it after this weekend. For the past two weekends our next door neighbors have had a large noisy beeping dump truck dumping loads of what I first thought was mulch but actually may be soil on their front lawn. They then spread it and surrounded the spread out dirt with wooden trim. The dirt patch is in a decorative shape, almost like a kidney shaped swimming pool. Too bad they weren't getting a pool. Instead, I think they must be planting some kind of garden area. Then they spent the weekend racing ATVs around their yard and down the street. Also our neighbor wears overalls. I'm waiting to see what they eventually do with the dirt patch....stay tuned.

Put Away the Broom
How does the number one NCAA baseball team lose 2 of 3 of their last games- which is almost more than what they have lost the entire season so far??? The mighty Florida State Seminoles came to town to play the UNC Tarheels this weekend for a three game series. My husband attended the Friday night game of the series and UNC won convincingly. We missed the Saturday game, but evidently the Noles lost in the last inning due to errors. Fortunately, though, they finally won on Sunday. We attended and got really sunburnt. In case you were wondering, baseball fans can be just as rude and obnoxious as football fans. A group of drunk frat boys decided to verbally abuse the Seminoles first base coach, insulting his manhood and using foul language. Now, I'm not a prude by any means, but let's have a little decorum here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home