Wildflower Seed in the Sand and Wind

My eyes-Help them to Look as well as to See

Name:
Location: The Triangle, North Carolina, United States

I try to keep an open heart & open mind.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Roller, Roller Baby

What better way to spend a Saturday evening than at the local county Entertainment Palace? This place is a mecca for teeny boppers, families, young adults, and quite possibly perverts. There is a diner, a pub, a movie theater, an arcade, a bowling alley, and a skating rink. We asked my daughter which form of entertainment she would like to partake in this fine evening and she choose arcade games and roller skating.

So we started off the evening by playing Dance, Dance Revolution, Skeet Ball, and Hoops Away. Fortunately, during this part of the evening we didn't run the risk of broken limbs or bruised body parts. But that would soon change....

....As we moved to the skating rink. Famous last words :"It's just like riding a bike. It'll come back to you." I tried to convince my husband that we would be fine after sensing his apprehension and doubt. We rented the classic roller skates instead of the roller blades. What can I say? We're old school like that. I can recall skating parties from elementary school with the tunes of Journey, Styx and REO Speedwagon urging us to skate around and around the rink dodging disco lights and other skaters. Unfortunately, we didn't get to hear that kind of music while skating away in 2006. Also unfortunately are the sustained injuries listed below:

2 smooshed fingers
1 bruised knee that can be sliced off and country-fried it's so tender
1 sore shoulder
1 sore arm/elbow
other assorted bruises and soreness

I have come to the conclusion that roller skating was much better left in the past. After about 15 minutes my toes were numb from the skates. I felt rickety and uncoordinated -not at all like Olivia Newton John's performance in Xanadu which made skating look so effortless. My kneecap absorbed about 200 pounds of extreme pressure- not once, but twice after losing balance and falling -which more closely resembled roller derby as skaters whizzed past me at tops speeds. One guy slowed down enough to ask me if I was okay. So I must have appeared to have seriously injured myself, hence the concern. My husband was chastised by the skate rink referee for holding on and stopping at the side wall of the rink because it would impede the other skaters. He said that they should much rather have him hanging on the side of the rink as opposed to being splaid out in the middle of the rink which would be much more likely to impede and endanger the other skaters.

All in all, we probably should have bowled. The risk of injury would have been much lower.

Suffice it to say, we are extremely lucky that the trip to the Entertainment Palace wasn't followed by a trip to the Emergency Room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home