Wildflower Seed in the Sand and Wind

My eyes-Help them to Look as well as to See

Name:
Location: The Triangle, North Carolina, United States

I try to keep an open heart & open mind.

Monday, July 10, 2006

A Subscription to Jesus

One of the MANY fundraisers my daughter's elementary school held this past year was selling magazine subscriptions. Because we're supportive parents who really need more reading material and because my daughter really wanted to win one of the special prizes that each child was promised if they sold so many subscriptions or if they sent in at least 7 addresses of poor suckers, ahem, family members and friend, that would be hounded to buy even more subscriptions. I'm sorry family members! I swear I'm not that good at sales.

Well, we decided to purchase two subscriptions for this fundraiser. The first one was Rolling Stone, which I have read off an on over the years. I tend to shy away from such mainstream publications because to me they seem to dictate what is "cool" or "hip" or "in style" with little regard for true talent and artistic impact. I have to say that I have appreciated the magazine so far, but mostly for the political articles and maybe for the hunky picture of Johnny Depp in the most recent issue. I still think that the music biz is rather cliquish and press is not always given to the most deserving. And most of the time the least deserving seem to get all the buzz.

Anyway....

The other subscription we purchased was for my daughter. She is quite upset these days since she does not get any mail. To see the disappointed little face coming back from the mail box after realizing none of the bills, credit card offers, mortgage refinancing offer, and other crap they send us in the mail is for her. Be thankful, I say. Well, getting the magazine was one way that she figured she would get mail. There were several different children's magazines to choose from. I read each of the descriptions and decided upon Clubhouse. The magazine promised stories, games, and other fun stuff that I thought she would enjoy. Why, oh why, didn't I just pick the tried and true Ranger Rick magazine?

The first issue came and I thought nothing of it, and frankly didn't even pick the magazine up to peruse the suitability of contents. Then the second issue came and as it was sitting on the coffee table I noticed on the back cover a Pen Pal program the magazine was offering. You could sign up for this by sending self addressed stamped envelopes and you would be matched up with a cool pen pal. I kept reading the descripton and got to the part where the Pen Pal Program warned that it could not match you up with other kids with similar interests to yours. For example if you really like ponies, you couldn't pick a pen pal that really like ponies too. However, they did make mention that you can be sure of one thing about your Pen Pal. That Pen Pal would love Jesus.

Now, I'm not anti-religion or anti-Jesus by any means. I was raised as a Christian and I appreciate Christianity's place in the moral lives of most Americans. But I can't say that I am a true believer in any organized religion at this point in my life-and not for lack of trying. But for some reason I was offended by this magazine, almost obsessively. I decided to pick it up and noticed all the stories and games and fun were religious in nature. The C-Force comic strip that pitted intergalactic Christian fighters against an evil coalition. The story on futbol. The article on sea turtles. They were all centered on Jesus and bible verses. My husband had to ask me if I was sure the subscription wasn't for me because I kept picking it up all weekend long.

I had to look back at the description of the magazine because I would never have willingly ordered a subscription to a Jesus themed magazine. Again, not because I'm opposed to Jesus or the true message of his teachings. It's just that the magazine seemed rather heavy handed in its message. I just question those who use Bible verses, out of context, to further their own agenda for whatever purpose-even if benign in nature. I also disagree with feeling superior or excluding others because they may have different beliefs.

Maybe this really touched a nerve with me because religious upbringing is something my husband and I have struggled with as parents. We did not have our daughter christened, and I find it hard to believe that her soul will not have a place in Heaven because she has not been baptized-if there is such a place, because the jury is still out on that one for me as much as I truly want to believe in it. We don't regularly attend a church because again, organized religion is not for us. But I do teach my daughter Christian values-Do unto others, you know, the Golden Rule really is the basis for most moral codes. I also teach my daughter spirituality because I want her to know there is more to life than that which we can touch and see, and there are some things we just have to have faith in. I also think that it's important to appreciate the nature that surrounds us and to know that it is our job to take care of it as a Creator would want-if there is such an entity.

I guess we will wait out the subscription because it's not technically offensive. It's just that with any Clubhouse, there must be an exclusivity to it. Usually someone is not allowed in the club for whatever reason the club members choose to exclude. And sure we want to surround ourselves with people who are most like us, but I have found that you can learn a lot from those who are not at all like us. And that to me is not such a bad thing.

So, if the Clubhouse sign reads: " No heathens allowed," then we'll just have to look for another Clubhouse that will have us as members.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home