Wildflower Seed in the Sand and Wind

My eyes-Help them to Look as well as to See

Name:
Location: The Triangle, North Carolina, United States

I try to keep an open heart & open mind.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Proof that Career Choices for Boys and Girls Have Improved Dramatically

This past weekend my in-laws were here to pick up my daughter and take her to their summer home in northern Georgia for the week. I admit that I feel rather conflicted about this. Part of me was so looking forward to reliving my pre-child days, however as they pulled out of the driveway this morning it felt like a little part of my heart was driving away too. My daughter is not a clingy child, so she was excited about the trip. However last night we had our little heart to heart talk to which she expressed her anxiety about leaving. She was so worried something would happen to her or to her Dad and me while she was away. I did my best to assure her that everything would be fine, and this is certainly proof that this girl has the worry wart gene from my side of the family. I gave her a crystal necklace I had made to protect over her and remind her of me, so that seemed to make her feel better.

But anyway, my mother in-law brought some sentimental stuff with her to give to my husband. His bronzed baby shoes, his high school yearbook, his grade school diploma, and another little book that is supposed to document grade school. Each page is a pocket where you could stick little notes or artwork from each grade. On each page there is also a place to record little rememberances, like friends, hobbies, etc. There is also a part that asks the child to indicate what they would like to be when they grow up for each grade. However, instead of leaving a space for open-ended answers, the makers of this book (from circa 1974) provided choices for the kid to check. These were the options:

Boy
Policeman
Fireman
Doctor
Cowboy
Astronaut

Girl
Mother
Teacher
Nurse
Airline Hostess
Model
Secretary

I'm not going even to comment any further. I guess it serves as proof that we have come a long way, baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home