Wildflower Seed in the Sand and Wind

My eyes-Help them to Look as well as to See

Name:
Location: The Triangle, North Carolina, United States

I try to keep an open heart & open mind.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Commute

I have been very spoiled for the last 5 years with my commute to work. Sure I’ve heard and sympathized with my co-workers tribulations & frustrations with their daily commutes to & from work. But I was happy in my own little world driving the 12-15 minute (depending on the lights & idiots) commute from work to home. Somehow though there were times when I wish I had a drive that was long enough to listen to some tunes & clear my head.

Nonetheless the short commute days are now over. My husband & I finally took the plunge into home ownership, which prompted us to buy something a little further out in the country and thus increased my commute by about 30 minutes. We got more bang for our buck this way, and we love the fresh air & tranquility of country life anyway.

Boo hoo, you say (especially if you’re faced with those infamous 2 hour commutes that DC or NY commuters suffer day in and day out). Hey, but I’m not complaining. Although one day last week was one of those days that every time I was on a roll down the country road I met up with another slow poke soccer mom in a mini van (or Subaru-the “new” minivan) stubbornly choosing to treat the speed limit as a suggestion, not the usual speed limit plus 10 mph philosophy that I adhere to. But my husband gently reminded me when I got home bitching that at least I wasn’t stuck in the parking lot that was I-40 that day. So I’m not going to complain. In fact I love my commute. I take mostly country roads, which offer many sites to name a few:

Lots of farms with cute names like Pitty Pat Farm and the Flying W Ranch

Tasteless lawn art: lots of lighthouses (mind you we’re about 2 1/2 hours from the coast but its NC and we love our lighthouses), gnomes, bird baths, pin wheels, even those little black jockeys holding a lantern (what’s up with those?)

Horse, cows, and goats Oh my! And peacocks-yes I have seen peacocks frolicking about.

The classic red barns, silos, an old historic (i.e. run-down & inhabitable) church and little country graveyard-probably from the 1800s is my guess

Rolling hills & winding roads that feel just fine with my wide track steering (Thank you Pontiac -you make driving fun)

And those little church signs that always offer some words of wisdom. It has caused me to wonder who comes up with those little sayings (Just like who makes up those little fortunes in Chinese cookies??) Sometimes these messages are preachy, sometimes they’re inspirational, sometimes they’re cutesy. Proving that even churchies like puns and word play.

Here’s some examples of those sayings:

The earth changes but God and his Word stand sure (editorial comment: his Word or your interpretation of his Word?)

Once you’ve tasted the bread of life you’ll want to share it. (I’ve tasted Catholic communion wafer, and I wouldn’t want to share, but yeah I know this is a figurative expression)

Get this one:

Even fish stay out of trouble when they keep their mouth shut. (translation: Shut up and fly right?? Sure, I partly agree that you have to put on your listening ears every once it awhile, but to tell you’re congregation to keep their traps shut and trust the opinions and beliefs we feed you. Is that what they call faith?)

Or the not as heavy handed examples: (not from the Baptist churches)

People don’t care what you know until they know that you care (Awwww!)

Or

Enjoy today while you can because one day it will be a long time ago.

I like that last one. I have to admit that I’m a nostalgic person. When I look back at the past I usually remember the good and forget the bad. Sometimes this is not good because it causes me to long for the past and try to recapture how it felt to live in that moment. However, it’s true that one day I’m going to be looking back at today and have the same longing. So, hello Today! It’s nice to meet ya’.


So while some of you take the subway, Metro, train, ferry, or those unlucky ones who traverse the interstates & busy roads commuting to & fro I’ll be thinking of you as I coast down the country road cursing the bastard that pulled out in front of me (especially the classic move you’ll experience in the country- pull up to stop sign with a rolling stop, stop, pause, just long enough for me to approach, and then pull out just when my 60 mph Grand Am is barreling down your arse)!

2 Comments:

Blogger Original Me said...

Yeah, you drive fast. Heh heh. Have I ever told you that I want a pet peacock once Sophie kicks the bucket? Can't wait to see them!

8:08 AM  
Blogger amyd said...

How are you going to keep a peacock in DC? That would be funny, walking him around on a leash, (no that would be animal cruelty.) I say he, I assume you want one that has pretty tail?

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home